Friday, April 29, 2011

Missed Opportunity

As a matter of fact, I do own the road. Or at least the right of way over the traffic coming behind me. Aaargghhhhh.

Given the weather forecast, I decided to carpool in with Cori today and ride the Klein home. I'm not a huge fan of walking out of the office in spandex, but to get my car off the road for the day and get some miles on, albeit road miles, I'm willing to subject myself to a little ridicule.

The part of the ride home I hate most is Route 16, and with good reason. It's only about a mile or so, but it's high traffic and no shoulder to speak of. On top of that, it's pretty commercial, which means lots of turning cars.


I was at the turn off for Killdeer Island Road with traffic steadily passing me on the left. Just as I started to pass by the intersection a red pick up truck pulled up alongside of me to make the right hand turn onto Killdeer Island. I heard the passenger say something to the driver, presumably about my being there, then heard the driver start yelling at me, although I couldn't make out what he was saying. I guess he thought I was (a) supposed to know he was behind me, (b) know that he wanted to turn right and (c) assume he had the right of way because he was in a truck and I was on a bike.

I don't know why he didn't see me. I was wearing a ridiculously bright green, white and yellow cycling jersey (thanks Chris Beriau). Of course I didn't factor in that wearing spandex and a cycling jersey makes my 6'2" 195 pound frame seem quite a bit less formidable. Apparently not even a little formidable to that jerk.

Anyhow, with him screaming at me, I started yelling back. I believe I commanded him to get over here right now. Maybe not using such nice words. I was trying to convey the concept that I had the right of way, but it came out as I had a right to ride on the road as well, which isn't quite the same. He was hollering that I did have the right to ride on the road, but still had to watch out for traffic. Instead of trying to calm the situation and explain my point rationally, I let myself get wrapped up in an escalating shouting match. At 41 years old, I shouldn't find myself in a situation where someone is saying to me, "You want to do something about it, get over here and I'll kick your ass." At that point I finally smartened up and just rode off.

I had 40 more minutes of riding to reflect on what had transpired. At first I was mad at myself for backing down, but soon came to see that as ridiculous. I then thought of what I actually wanted him to know about sharing the road and wishing I had conveyed that better in my verbal altercation. In the end, I figured out that I had really just wished I had a conversation with the guy and explained everyone's responsibilities when operating on the road.

All I did was make that guy hate cyclists more than he already does. I had the opportunity to make a difference and I blew it. Next time he sees someone on a bike, ten to one he squeezes in on them.

If you know anyone who thinks cyclists don't belong on the roads or that they should yield to all traffic, please tell them that cyclists have every right to be on the road and all the responsibilities of following traffic rules.

For more information on the Mass Rules of the Road governing bicyclists and motorists, click here and scroll to the last three pages of the chapter.


The specific rule covering the situation in which I found myself today was:

"Do Not Make an Abrupt Turn After Passing: When passing a bicycle near an
intersection or driveway where you want to turn right, you cannot turn unless you are at
a safe distance from the bicyclist and you can make the turn at a reasonable and
proper speed. (Chap. 90, Sec 14)"

I'd also encourage all of my cycling friends to review the rules and abide by them. If we don't follow the rules, motorists are not going too feel compelled to follow them either.

Can't we all just get along?

Total miles: 17.9
Average Speed: 19.0 mph

5 comments:

  1. This same exact situation happened to me last year. A woman wanted to make a right turn into a gas station. She had came up from behind me and right when she was in line with me she made the turn right into me! Fortunately the worst of my injuries were a few bruises, though my bike was rendered unrideable and I had to get picked up. I played it cool with the woman, and she was concerned that I was ok, however when it came down to discussing repairs to my bike she seemed to imply that in some way I was at fault for the collision. Unbelievable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You failed to mention that the guy took a photo, got your email addy, and sent you the file. That was kind of nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great story--you know equestrians have the same rights to the road as cyclists, and we're on 1,000 lb animals that can get scared and do anything. I've had drivers deliberately gun the motor when they're right next to my horse. You want my horse in your windshield, buddy? Luckily my horse is well trained to deal with traffic, and pretty unflappable, but it's still unnerving. I wish all drivers would just have some courtesy. - Alecia U.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This just happened to me yesterday, but mine involved me working my way up an enormous hill, and a lady on her cell phone turning right just as I was aligned with her back tire, which was a 1/2 car length from the top. I anticipated that this might happen and was prepared for the fact that I might have to suddenly un-clip and stop, but it didn't stop me from wanting to curse her. I was outside a YMCA with lots of kids around so I settled for huffing and giving my best "can you believe that women" look. I was more ticked with the fact that I didn't get the satisfaction of saying I made it to the top of the hill than I was about her cutting me off, probably because I had a feeling it was coming.

    ReplyDelete