Sunday, April 17, 2011

Everyone knows it's windy

So I arrived home from three days of skiing at Sugarloaf today and thought I should probably do something to work off all those beers and burgers. I kind of hoped to see if my mountain bike was ready, but the shop wasn't answering. Must be closed on Sundays. Anyhow, mountain biking being out of the question, I decided I'd probably just take a run.

As I unloaded my ski gear out of my car, I saw a handful of roadies riding by the house and they seemed to be having a great time. As with most things, that was about all the arm-twisting I needed. I decided I'd do a road ride (only my second of the season) and then do a run. It was, after all, a LOT of burgers and beer.

Down to the basement and found that my front tire was flat. No more spares on the shelf, but two in my saddle pack. Took the first out and realized the stem was too short for my Rolfs. The other one worked though. So, yes, I did go on a solo road ride with no spare. Fortunately, nothing bad came of that.

Made it out and did a 17.13 mile loop from my house. I quickly came to realize that those roadies that seemed to be smiling when they went by my house must really have been grimacing from the gale force wind gusts that were simply relentless. The good news were that there were quite a few tail winds. Unfortunately, there were at least as many head winds. Maybe worse than the head winds are the ones blowing from the side that threaten to blow your bike out from under you. In the end, I don't know how much my overall pace was affected , but it was a frustrating ride.

Finished with an 18.3 average and then went out and knocked out a 8.53 mile hilly run at an easy 8:35 pace.

Next up, Tuesday time trials, the Wednesday night ride and then the Massasoit Lung Opener on Saturday. Can't wait for the race. It's going to be a blast!

No comments:

Post a Comment