Saturday, April 16, 2011

Hill-a-rific!

Last night, my pal Wendy and I headed out for a ride.  It was perfect weather.  Sunny, 60 degrees and very little wind.  We each rode from our home and met at a point on the course to continue on together.  It was a hilly course.  We rode Elliot Hill, Buckley Hill,  Thompson Hill and the dam hill.

Now don't go thinking I'm cursing any hill.  The dam hill refers to the West Thompson Dam.  I ride over it often.  And it is gorgeous.  Let me show you.

West Thompson Dam
 The West Thompson Dam is owned by the US Army Corp of Engineers and is used for flood control.  They displaced the village of West Thompson for the flood zone and when the water is low, you can still see the old roads, stone walls and house foundations.  It's a pretty cool area to explore.  So this road goes over the top of the dam.  I drive over it everyday to get to work and ride over it often. 
The view from the other end of the dam
Overlooking the lake
 Park rangers tell us that there is one building that they just could not knock down.  So it still stands today.

The Dam Church!

----
My stats:
15.53 miles
12.7 MPH average
29.5 max speed (what goes up, must come down and it comes down fast!)
----
Hope you enjoyed the tour.  Have a great weekend!

Keep pedaling!
~Cori

No comments:

Post a Comment