Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Marathon Training

This past weekend I went with my dad to our friends' lake house in Candlewood Knolls.  It's all the way in the opposite corner of Connecticut.  

On Saturday I rode my bike while my dad walked. We went down all the little side streets in the community.  There were three trees down in the Knolls that we know of.  While we were riding around we went on some roads that have HUGE hills.  I had to drop my gears to one and one all the way.  They were so hard they made me feel like I was in my hardest gear even though I was in my easiest.

While we were there on Sunday I rode my bike 5.5 miles alongside my dad, who was running.  I was carrying my dad's Gatorade bottle for him.  He is training for a marathon.  It was a 0.55 mile lap that I rode a total of 10 times.  Once I had to go back and fill up the Gatorade for him.

It was pretty hilly.  There was this one really steep hill that was really hard to get up.  I tried to stay in a harder gear - two and two most of the time.  But by the end it was like one and one.

Right at the top of that hill you would take a turn,  And the first thing you noticed is the big fallen down tree with caution tape all around it.  It was pretty hard to get around that because of all the caution tape.  There were three strands of caution tape.  The first one I had to pull up with my hand and duck under.  The second was high enough that I could just ride under it, but the third I had to pull up with my hand and duck under again.  Here is a picture of the tree that was down.  It fell on a golf cart.



After that was a pretty nice downhill.  And then repeat, repeat, repeat...  We saw one guy like every lap.  He was out fixing his tire on his car.  I stopped and talked to him for a second about my dad's marathon training.  I told him my dad was running 22 laps to go 12 miles.

It was pretty pretty down by the lake.  There are a lot of different houses in the community that are really nice. 

Have you ever biked with someone who was running?  How about under a whole mess of caution tape a million times?

- Harry

No comments:

Post a Comment