Sunday, September 29, 2013

All Out at Moody Park 2013

The Fall Out at Melancholy Park


Listen with attentive ear and you shall mark
My tale of joy become woe at Moody Park.
A fantastic finale to a spectacular season end,
Laurels near grasped, but lost to a friend.
Let us now on this sorrowful saga embark.


It starts with Vermont and Boves and camping,
Ere to the Vermont Fifty they all went a tramping.
That night I spent comfortably in an Elemental bed,
With dreams of superhuman riding racing through my head
Sandwiched betwixt nasty nightmares of legs a cramping.


Up and at 'em the next morn with dawn's first light
No other car in the Moody Park lot to meet my sight.
Lucky triple ones to adorn the front of my bike.
That's a number I could get used to, a number to like.
Things were looking up, my future looked bright.



The pre-race meeting was under way at five minutes to nine.
Racer sizing up racer sizing up racer, up and down the line.
Directions had us doing a parade lap around the field,
And then into the singletrack each of us wheeled.
A little early misdirection, but it was going to be fine.

So instead of third I was eighth hitting the hole,
Passing all I could my immediate goal.
Now caught behind seventh in a Claremont Bike kit
Slower than I'd like, but great lines he knew to hit.
And once it opened up, right by I did roll.

Some climbing ahead, rooty and washed out,
But tire to ground contact left little doubt
Traction was going to be just fine on the course.
Clear to proceed to pedal full force.
So happy I just wanted to shout.

After crossing the park's main thoroughfare
A cacophony exploding in front made me aware
A rider up front had made a wrong turn
A mistake from which I was able to learn.
Looking ahead now the riders a mere pair.

The fellow in the front let number two and me by,
And we stepped it up a little, beginning to fly.
I managed to stay glued to his tail,
But for me to pass by, there wasn't enough trail.
So I settled in and for now followed the guy.

The trail turned then into some more technical stuff
And I was sick of following, I'd had quite enough.
A bobble in front replete with a quick dab
And then I was by, first place did I nab.
First place?  What?  This must be a bluff!

I knew at this point Robertson was close behind.
Time to kick it up a notch and try to grind.
I cleared the tech section, made it pretty well.
Now some wide smooth hardpack for a short spell,
Trying to gap more with bike slightly inclined.

Back to singletrack with the steepest climbing to come.
But still feeling great,  riding like a Bum.
Another glimpse of John, but a little further back
And nary a hint of the rest of the pack.
Onward and upward I steadily did drum.

Before I knew it I was back at the top
Two more laps to go before I could stop.
All alone still and feeling more'n good
I rode lap two as well as I could.
And 'fore I came round again by three novices I did hop.

Okay this was it, just stay upright through one final lap.
And then all of a sudden stop with a SNAP.
What the hell was that, I'm afraid to look down.
And then I see the hanger sheered off and begin to frown.
A race ending mechanical.  Friggin' crap.


I decide to continue onward as I push and I run.
But now the race has become significantly less fun.
Three minutes fifty seconds later Robertson flies past.
He was certainly the first, but far from the last.
Three miles before me, my hoofing just begun.

Dangling derailleur I zip tied to the frame
Which made me only really slightly less lame.
Push and shoulder, shoulder and push.
Only on downhills does the seat hit my tush.
Within ten minutes I'm out of the game.

But finish I did with a forty six minute last lap.
As opposed to twenty seven before, just call it a wrap.
The results showed me as a respectable fifth in my class,
But it's only five deep, I was handed my ass.
My performance today all over the map.


I stuck around to see the start of the next race
Steve Segenchuk looking prepared to set a fast pace.
And catch the awards, however much they hurt.
Great to see Robertson hit his paydirt,
Finishing his last Vet II contest all the way in first place.


And so ends our tale of joy and woe.
First to DFL is assuredly a tough row to hoe.
But all in all, I felt great at Moody
Despite my results looking like doody.
And next year I'll be back to give it another go.


No comments:

Post a Comment