Sunday, May 12, 2013

Weeping Willow 2013 Race Recap

Well, another Weeping Willow is in the books.  For me, that book was a little longer than I wanted it.


I was away the week leading into the race on a bit o' business, but managed to get a little riding in preparation.  After 17 days straight of riding or running, I took Friday off all together and felt as if I was in good shape.

I arrived alone around 8:20, just over an hour before my race.  My number one and number two spectators decided to sit this one out.  I'd hit some spitting rain on the way up, but nothing too bad.  The forecast was not promising though. 

As I pulled in, I was directed to park in a field that was pretty high with some sort of plant/weed.  I headed over and picked up my number and then returned to my car to get everything ready.  Still dry and it actually looked like the sun was starting to poke through.

I see a shadow!
The night before the race I had pulled my Fisher out of the car after having it in there for a week traveling with me and found the rear tire a little soft.  Not flat, just soft.  I had decided I'd put some air in it and if it was soft again the next morning, I'd change the tube.  Tubes are how we used to keep air in tires back when we used to store music on these little round, silver discs.  When I checked the tire this morning though, it was still good.  So I didn't change it. 


The course this year was different than last year and had us going in the out door.  I checked out the beginning of the course during a quick three mile warm up ride.  It went in for about 7/8 mile before getting to some singletrack, but even the singletrack wasn't too technical.  I did note some slipperiness to some of the roots and made a note to myself to ride lightly over roots not perpendicular to the trail.

After warming up I headed back to the starting area and listened to the pre-race meeting instructions.  Nothing earth-shattering.  Basically letting us know the starting order and to have fun. You know the drill.

Unlike last year, this year they let the 19 - 29 year olds out first, followed by the 30 - 39 year olds, the 40 - 49 year olds (my group) and then the masters.  As I cued up I ran into Nathan Elder on the starting line.  He's the guy who always seemed to beat me by a place or two last year.  Spoiler alert: he did not beat me by a place or two this year!

After watching the first two age groups go off, we were up to the starting line.  My group was sold out at 50 riders, which is just nuts.  I was about three and a half rows back.  Not exactly pole position. 

Before I knew what was happening, we were off and pedaling.  And you could almost feel the power off the line.  It was going to be a hammerfest.  Before I knew what was going on, I'd dropped a bunch of places.

I worked to regain some places before we hit the singletrack, but to little avail.  I don't know if there were a lot of roadies signed up and killing this fast, smooth course or if maybe they all were doping or what.  Because I felt fast, but was somehow slower than everyone else. 

By the time we hit the singletrack, I was pretty deep back in the pack.  I don't know exactly how far.  And I'm not sure I wanted to know.

And we were really still in a bunch.  Like so many bananas. And it turned out that the bananas in front of me couldn't ride semi-tech.  My favorite dessert - banana slips.  I did manage to stay on my bike and gain a couple of spots, but for every time I did, there was another time that I managed to stay on my bike and just keep my place because the guy in front didn't move over.  Oh well, at least I didn't lose any places.

The first six miles of the course was just super fast.  A couple of small tech areas.  And still no rain. Slippy was becoming grippy. Even the roots.  We were still grouped up pretty tight, but I was definitely gaining some places and was pretty sure I was getting by some 30 - 39 year olds.

The only hill that was pretty tough came at mile six.  It was just over 100 feet in 4/10 miles.  It took a lot out of me, but I climbed it.  After that some fast single track and double track before heading around to the start/finish and heading out for lap number two.

Things finally started to spread out a little, but I was rarely alone.  I was starting to be overtaken by some 50+ riders.  They were all super cool and passed in places that were good for passing.  Even sometimes letting me know they were 50 - 59 age groupers.  I think that was supposed to make me feel better, although I'm not sure it did.

The second time up the hill at mile six I lost momentum and ended up walking the last little bit.  I was a little disappointed, but didn't lose any ground.  I was trying to figure out where I was and was guessing top fifteen, but hoping top ten.  I knew Colin Johannen and Nathan Elder were both in front of me. 

I finished up in a time of 1:35:44.  And took first!  Out of people racing my class from CT.  Of which I was the only one.  In reality I was eleven minutes and eighteen seconds out of first.  I was eighteenth. Seven places behind Nathan Elder.  Ugh.

I threw my bike on my car and changed up before heading back to the start finish area.  I was a little in the dumps with my placement, but cheered up quickly when I realized Baxter Brewing was there.  And giving away super duper canned beer.

Baxter Brewing Superstars!
I had a Stowaway IPA and then headed home to catch up with my family, who I hadn't still really seen in a week.  On the way I stopped at Cumby's for gas and watched some old lady with a handicap placard crash her minivan into the poles that are put there to keep her from driving right into the store.  She hit that pole hard.  I figured she, too, was disappointed with her finish at Weeping Willow.



I'm going to say I'm obviously not thrilled with my finish, but felt I rode well and still was in the top half of the class.  Going to have to pick it up for Glocester Grind this weekend.

Here's the GarminConnect map of the course.

Others had a better day on the course.  Potter took second in the womens' elite race.  Beaupre and Segenchuk took first in their respective races.

Full results here.

No comments:

Post a Comment