Sunday, April 21, 2013

WMBA Chain Stretcher 2013

I raced the WMBA Chain Stretcher today at Blue Mountain Reservation in Peekskill, NY.  And it has provided me with plenty of material for reflection.

We drove down yesterday and spent the night with our friends, the Bradleys, in Ossining, NY.  A mere 15 minutes away.  Super easy.  Not the Bradleys.  The commute. 

I got out and pre-rode one lap of the course Saturday afternoon as it looked to be running differently than last time I did the race in 2010.  Most noticeable was that it was running clockwise as opposed to counter clockwise.  I  think the trail selection was a bit different as well.

I parked at the lot off Washington Street instead of going into the park.  Wasn't sure if they were charging to get in and the lot at the Corner of Montrose Station Rd and Washington St is free and puts you right onto the trail system.

If it's free, it's for me.  And these other guys.

I pretty quickly met up with a guy named Gunnar from Norwalk and we rode together for a bit.  He had done the race as a Cat 2 last year, but was stepping it back down to Cat 3 this year.  That'd bring him down for a two lap race top a one lap race.  Super nice guy and great to ride with someone.

As I said, I had started from a lot away from the main parking area, so when we got back to the main lot, Gunnar wrapped up his ride I continued on.

I was really surprised how tech the course was.  I remembered it being tough last time, but this course had tough climbs, some serious rock gardens and a boatload of log piles.  I was really glad I went and checked it out the day before.  It was pretty obvious someone else was not pleased to see the course.

One of countless race arrows someone ripped down.

Part way through my second half of the lap a guy came up on me pretty hard.  We talked a little as we rode.  Igor had traveled over from Oakland, NJ, and this was his third or fourth pre-ride of the course in the past couple of weeks.  He was riding Cat 2, but the 30 - 39 year old group.  Not my competition.  He was a super solid rider and seemed to be a super solid guy as well.

The trails were in great shape despite the heavy rains the night before.  I pulled off back at my lot half way through the course and Igor kept on.

After pre-riding the course, I met up with Cori, Harry and the Bradleys for a walk around a lake in Teatown Park.  Gorgeous park boasting 15 miles of trail, but I get the sense they may not allow mountain bikers.  We found three geocaches for the kids while we hiked.  Then Jack and I went and played 19 holes of disc golf at FDR.  That's three parks that afternoon!   And maybe more exercise that one should do the afternoon before a race.




I also undertook an experiment.  How many beers the night before a race is too many?

Now I'm not actually sure of the answer, but I have learned that six is probably a little much.  Especially when they are Flying Dog Gonzo Imperial Porter (9.2%) and Victory Yakima Glory (8.7%).  Next time I'll have five or less and see if that works better.

And on top of a little too rough a night, I started having a lot of trouble breathing.  For some reason my cat allergy was acting up a lot worse at our hosts' house.  I was wheezing and coughing like crazy most of the night.  Ugh.

Up at 5:30 when I couldn't sleep anymore and out of the house at 7 am.  A quick stop for breakfast and coffee and we pulled into the park.  My Cat 2 race was the first Cat going off with a 9 am start.  It was still pretty chilly and I wasn't quite sure how to dress.  I went with bare legs and arm warmers.  Two pair of socks and my summer shoes.  Turned out I would be fine.

Registration was in a trail lodge with a nice big fire burning in the fire place.  Very welcoming.  I did a brief warm up climb just to get the legs working and was then about 15 minutes from start.

They sent the age groups out in a strange order.  Singlespeeds, 30-39, 19-29, 40-49, 50+ and juniors.  We went out at two minute intervals.  The 19 - 29 group in front of us was one of the more entertaining things I saw today.  First, there were only about six of them, yet one guy still managed to crash.  And then some spectator holding one of the racers dogs totally lost it and the dog went sprinting off with that heat with the woman chasing the dog up the trail.

My heat was considerably larger.  We were 22 pre-registered.  Not sure how many actually raced.  One great thing they did at this race was to have participants write their age category on their legs (like triathlons).  It's great to know what category someone is when they are passing you or you them.  The race started right up a fire road called Dickey Brook Trail that quickly turned into a rocky climb with better lines up both sides.  It was full on walking by the time I got there with someone up front having bobbled on both lines and no one moving over.  I tried to just chill out.

We were back on and riding a short while later and cut into Dr. Jekyll about half way through it.  It's a pretty nice single track, but techy and tight enough where we were literally lined up in places waiting to move forward.  Ugh.

Here's a video of one of the climb/low branch/log crossing/log pile in succession that I took on my pre-ride (walking with my camera).  I cleaned this both laps.  Woo hoo!


And here is another tricky area that takes you around a tree, between a another tree and a sapling turning onto a rock that takes you through a stream.  Tough stuff.  I got caught up behind the rider in front of me on this the first lap, but cleaned it the second lap.




We did start to thin out as little and came up to a trail called Ned's Left Lung.  Holy hill.  Two lines up through it.  On the pre-ride, I took the right, newer line that leads away from the way the race heads, but is rideable.  I took this line again and gained several spots over guys walking the other line.  Once the climb levels out, it continues up around another bend.

The next section of the race proceeds though a series of trails called Stinger, Middle Stinger and Lower Stinger.  Great sections with some fun technical stuff.  Climbs with large rocks you have to maneuver through.  Rollers and drops.  One great line up a really steep rock that throws you up and over versus taking the trail around to the left.  By now I was pretty much back and forth with the same small group of 40 - 49 year olds.  We were also picking off some 30 - 39 year olds and one or two singlespeeders.

Saw Cori and Harry up on top of a rock with a great view of a lot of the surrounding area.  I think the trail here was called 2 Crew Live.  Here's the video they took. You'll note I missed a turn.  Not a great move when you are trying to go as fast as you can.


After that we came down a cart road and onto the paved road to pass through the start/finish and out for lap two.

I finished the first lap in 43 - 44 minutes.  I was pretty happy.  The race director had said that laps were running 45 - 50 minutes.

I had been noticing a rattling from my front end and stopped quickly to make sure my break rotor didn't need to be tightened.  Nope.  I did let the two guys I was riding with pass me here while I was checking the bike.

The culprit

I continued on with my broken spoke and cleared the rock climb on Dickey Brook.  I also had a great run through Dr. Jekyll, clearing most everything.  When I hit Ned's Left Lung, I didn't have it in me.  It is brutal.  218 feet in just under 3/4 of a mile.  I walked up the first part.

Then I remembered something.  While I usually only ride my 32 tooth ring up front, I do still actually have a little ring.  And that's easier.  I used my atrophying left thumb to flick that rapid fire and next thing I know, I'm headed up hill and not dying all at the same time!  That was the only climb I used it on.

I should mention at this time the pros pre-riding the course passed by me on my race lap. Does wonders for ones self esteem.

After Ned's Left Lung I started catching glimpses of the the guy in the Campmor kit I had been back and forth with on the first lap.  I managed to get by him and one other guy who had passed me a long time before.   Not sure if he was bonking or if something went wrong.  I guess maybe something went wrong when you are bonking.  Forget it.

With everything I had left, I threw my fork into the locked position and cranked up the road to the finish, managing to hold off the guys behind me.

Finish Sprint!
I finished my second lap a minute or so faster than my first.  Great!  After the race, we had a lot of time to hang around waiting for results.  I could have gone out for pizza and come back and still not had results.  We waited for an hour and a half after I finished and results still weren't posted.  I still don't know how I did.  I remember that last time I did this race it took FOREVER for them to post results.  The only complaint I have really.  Other than there are way too many people in the 40 - 49 age group.

We did get a chance to speak to some folks after the race and everyone LOVED the course.  Great set of trails.  Great course.  Well thought out.  Well marked.  Well manned.  Nice work!!!

Me and my two favorite fans after the race!
2013 WMBA Jersey Design

Course Map

Cori warming her hiney by the 1933 CCC built fireplace
Cori uses her newly warmed hiney to squish our kid.

There was a fat tire division.

I expect Alby King has these too.
I'll update with results once I have them.

For now, here's the GPS track.

Next up, the BSTRA Relay next weekend in Douglas State Forest.  I'll be doing the trail run and mountain biking legs!

UPDATE:  Results are in.  I took 5th out of 32 starting in my Cat 2 40 - 49 division!!!  Super happy with that result.  I honestly had no idea, but didn't expect anything that good!  Three of the 32 DNF'd.

And a couple of pictures I meant to post, but forgot...

Headed up to the start.  Harry walking in front.

Anticipation!

40 something.  None of your friggin' business.

My Cat 2 40 - 49 getting ready to start!

No comments:

Post a Comment