Monday, August 6, 2012

Block Island

Happy Birthday to us!!

 This weekend, my mother, my sister and I ventured out to Block Island for our annual birthday celebration.   I wanted to throw in some of my training for Italy so suggested we bring our bikes and ride around the island.  My sister reminded me that in Italy I will be on a rental bike and that this was the perfect opportunity to see what it is like to ride on a rental bike.  She was right.



And oh how sweet our rentals were.  When was the last time you rode a bike that has a kick stand??  And a big cushy seat?  It may not look pretty, but this thing felt like I was riding a couch down the road!  It was very comfortable.  And heavy.  I think it weighs as much as me!




We rode along some sweet rolling roads along the ocean.  Some of the hills are tough when you only have a few gears.

Lemonade for 50 cents?  Heck yeah!

First we visited this lighthouse:


And then we rode back to town to grab some lunch.  With all the heat, humidity and hills, we were a big sweaty mess.  But the waitress didn't seem to mind.  My mom had swordfish, my sister had scallops and I had the Ahi tuna.  It was fantastic.

And then we rode to this lighthouse:


It was up a relentless hill that just kept curving around to reveal more up.  It was quite an accomplishment to make it to the top on those heavy rental bike with so few gears!  But we did it.



All in all, it was a great trip.  We ended the day with 12.38 miles.  And some gelato for mom and sister.  Ice cream for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment