Thursday, August 4, 2011

Quick Ride

I had a superbusy day today but decided I really needed to get back in the saddle.  I hadn't ridden since Grey Fox, which is the third weekend in July.  While Rob and Harry were off on the kid's mountain bike ride at the dam, I decided to do a quick road ride.

I took a right out of my driveway and found I was already in the big ring.  I thought of Beckie and all the training that she has been doing for the Pan Mass Challenge.  She has been training for a 120 mile ride.  That Lance Armstrong is also doing.  To crush cancer.  She and 5,000 cyclists are riding this weekend.  I decided right then and there that I would ride this entire short loop in the big ring. 

I took a right onto a windy country road that also happens to have some rolling hills.  I was just starting to get in my head, thinking how hard some of these rollers would be without my middle ring when I came around the corner and saw a beautiful deer just standing in the road.  I unclipped and stopped in an effort to not spook him.  Got out my phone and started to take some pictures while the deer just stood there and stared at me.  When a truck finally came along and stopped, the deer still just stood there motionless.  Both of us were talking to it trying to coax it off the road.  And then some idiot cyclist came up behind the pickup truck and passed it on the left narrowly missing the deer and just pedaled away at full speed.  He never even looked at the deer or acknowledged the people standing in the road.  Sometimes you have to take time to observe the beauty.  This was one of those times.

It's a little hard to see, but there is a deer in the road ahead.

Here's the deer starting to scamper away.


When the deer finally ran off into the woods, I continued on my way.  And suddenly, those rolling hills seemed easy.  Big ring and all.  I turned left to go up by Roseland Park.  I had to stand up a bit to make it up that hill, but I never dropped gears.  And the rest of the ride home was uneventful.

Beautiful night for a ride!  I'm so glad I got out again, even if it was a short ride.
Good luck and happy pedaling to all who are doing the Pan Mass Challenge this weekend!

----
Stats:
8.42 miles
14.00 MPH average
26.7 max speed
----
~Cori

No comments:

Post a Comment