Monday, May 16, 2011

Glocester Grind Race Review

So the Glocester Grind took place yesterday. I did this race last year for the first time. I recall technical and muddy, although I don't recall what the weather situation was. This year I harbored a fair amount of trepidation leading up to the race.

The first and foremost reason for this hesitancy was the weather. I was watching the weather firm up as the week progressed. By the time Friday rolled around, it no longer seemed a question of whether it would rain, but more a question of when and how much.

That said, as you may recall, I had a mediocre showing at the Massasoit Lung Opener which I chalked mostly up to less than favorable conditions. Now my scheduled second race of the year and again crummy weather. Ugh.

On top of that, my race was scheduled to go off at 11 am and I had to be at a wedding an hour from home at 4 pm. The schedule was tight and left no room for error, mechanical malfunction or delayed start (a la Massasoit).

So I decided not to pre-reg, instead leaving myself the option to bail if I wanted. I cleaned up the bike Saturday night while happily listening to Beckett knock the Yanks around. Had it squeaky clean. In fact, I offered to let Cori have a little something to eat off from it, although she politely refused.

I also switched out the practically bald stock tires with identical replacements donated by the beneficent Jess Bly. I noticed after getting them on, however, that my wheel seemed to be rolling in an ellipse rather than a circle. I was pretty bummed as the wheel was a brand new Rhythm that was upgraded from the stock wheel on a warranty. I saw a small ding and wondered if I had knocked it out of true somehow already. I have also been having some shifting issues in back. Apparently my cable's all gunked up inside the housing and needs to be replaced. All said, however, I was ready to try the race the next day if the weather cooperated.

Physically, I felt pretty good. I had a couple of strong training rides Tuesday and Wednesday at 14.6 miles and 17.3 miles, respectively. I woke up Sunday morning when Harry climbed into bed. Then Harry and Cori got up and went about their business. I rolled back over and next thing I knew, it was 8:15 and Cori was just arriving home from the grocery market. I lumbered out of bed and to the computer to check the radar. Looked like something was coming, but might just clip Glocester. That's it. I was racing.

I showed up just after 10:00 am and parked across from Brian Spring (BMA). Knowing he knew something about bikes, I showed him the trouble I was having with my rear wheel. He took a look at it and informed me it was just that the tire wasn't seated properly. Rim was fine. What a relief. I blew it up to about 50 psi to get it to seat and then let it back down to 30 again.

Went over and registered. $34. Maybe a buck or two more than it would have been to pre-reg, but worth it to have the option. Ran into Pete Dunn and talked to him for a bit. He was on a beautiful red and white Specialized two-niner. The kind of shiny red and white that you dream about as a kid. He, Brian and I were all racing Sport class in Vet II (40 - 49).

Cori showed up as my official photographer a little before the race. She drove separate as she had to split early to get back and prep for the wedding. She was a trooper and did some hiking to get some footage through the woods.

I pulled into the queuing area with everyone else. Had a few words with Chris Beriau and Brandon O'Neal. Also ran into Jonathan Modig, who had just finished up the Novice Junior (12 - 18). He won his race, 1st place. He also came in second out of the entire beginner field. Way to go Modig!

As they were calling up the racers, I was having a lot of trouble hearing. Someone had rented a cherry picker and it was taking people up to watch the race as they were calling us. In the end, I heard myself get called and lined up. I let a little more air out of the tires as I was expecting some mud. Still no rain yet. Thinking hopeful thoughts.

Vet II had 18 starters. A couple of DNS. I lined up front row heard the go command and watched everyone take off like rockets, leaving me in the dust (okay, leaving me in the wet grass). I was solidly in the latter half of the pack when I hit the woods. I knew it was the woods because of the giant, slippery exposed roots jutting from the mud. The mud wasn't awful though. Yet.

While I went in a little late, I almost immediately started picking people off. It's a little tough at first because everyone is riding a tight single file and you feel like an ass going around someone when you're wondering if they want to get around the person in front of them. In the end though, I decided that if I was willing to make the move, I must have wanted it more. With the heats going off at one minute intervals, I wasn't sure how many of the folks I was passing were Vet II vs. Vet I vs. Senior and eventually Junior.

There are a few notable obstacles on the course. Early on there is a wooden bridge comprising two beefy 2 x 6 boards that drop you soundly into a mud bog. When you the mud off the other side the first time, you think maybe it's not too bad. Five seconds later, you realize it is too bad. And worse. I hoofed it all three times through.

Shortly after that, there is a rock with a pretty good pitch that has a couple of roots growing laterally across it. I hit that the first two times hot on someone's tail and when they slipped, I too was done. Third time I botched it on my own.



There are a million super technical rock gardens. Okay, maybe not a million, but enough that I didn't know how many there were. Big rocks. Bad lines. Sometimes just hoping for balance and luck to get you through.over. Other times having to unclip and run. Tricky business running through giant, closely placed rocks while trying to push a bike.

In the second half of the course there is a on bridge that also leads to a 8" drop into mud that was several inches deep. I got through that all three laps with successful wheelie drops. Then there is the stream crossing that comes immediately after a HUGE, messy, deep mud pit. I made that the first two laps, but got caught up behind someone third lap and had to run through.

The other bridge comes in the second half as well. It's a rocky ramp up and slippery as all get out. I came into it the first time and recalled the words I'd heard from Steve Segenchuk earlier in the week - just ride through the stream on the right. By the time I realized where I was though, it was too late. I was committed to the left line over the bridge following one of those Geekhouse guys. He hit the bridge and immediately slipped. Then he got his feet down on the bridge and slipped again. I lost a spot to someone cutting through the stream. I heard Pete Dunn, who I'd just managed to pass calling out behind me to take the stream next time. Lesson learned. Next two times I did just that. Little deeper than I expected, but rideable as promised.



About 2/3 the way into the first lap I caught up with the Expert women. Easy to know who they are. Much prettier than the Vet I guys.

I finished the first lap and felt pretty good. It starting raining lightly. Then it started pouring. Not pouring like steady, heavy rain. Downpour. Deluge. Biblical. But short lived. Just enough to TRASH the course. Everything changed.

Trying to grab your saddle with you thighs was like wrestling a greased pig (or so I hear). I literally thought I had it and slipped right off the back. Fortunately not falling down onto the rear wheel.

It was so muddy that I thought I was running two flats. You know, biflateral. Super squirrelly. Plus now when you ran through the mud, you didn't know what you were setting your foot into. Sometimes just three inches. Sometimes ten inches. Sometimes a rock or root underneath. Sometimes not. Sprained ankle waiting to happen.

During my third lap I started getting lapped by the Elite men. Generally kind enough to call out "Elite on your left." Might sound a little cocky, but I know he doesn't want to be behind me. I know I don't want him there either. Find a spot and move over. Might have been passed by four of them by the end.

I was definitely fading on the last lap. Second half I lost a spot to the guy I had most recently passed. He still looked strong and took off. Didn't lose any more places to anyone other than elites though.

Finished the race in 1:52:14. Good enough for 4th place in my class. 2:15 from the third place guy and 0:11 ahead of the fifth place finisher.

My laps were pretty tight.
  • Lap 1: 35:00
  • Lap 2: 38:09
  • Lap 3: 39:05
Laps are stated to be 6 miles each, but measure short. I finished with 14.54 miles total at 7.9 mph average. All in all it was great race. Great vibe. Lots of fun. Just had to give yourself over to the conditions and start having fun.

In the end, maybe it's not that I'm not a mudder. Maybe the bald tires I was running weren't mudders. Thanks Jess. I owe you one.


Placing of other folks that I knew:
  • Jon Modig. 1st/6 starters place novice junior. Next closest was just about 12 minutes behind.
  • Brandon O'Neal. 1st/13 starters place Vet I. Next closest was about nine minutes back.
  • Paul Simoes. 8th/19 elites.
  • Chris Beriau. 3rd place expert women Vet.
  • Matt Chandler. 9th/16 starters, expert men Vet.
  • Steve Segenchuck. 5th/22 expert men Vet II.
  • Pete Dunn. 7th/18 starters sport men Vet II.
  • Brian Spring. 10th/18 starters sport men Vet II.
And after all that, I screwed out of there and made it to the wedding with 20 minutes to spare.

Great race!

































And finally...

...my laundry today (Thanks Cori!!!)









No comments:

Post a Comment